Saturday, December 1, 2007

Tumbleweeds

Isn't it strange the things we remember ? My grandparents lived in the Texas panhandle where the winters can be cold and windy. The old timers used to say that the only thing between the Panhandle and the North Pole was a barbed wire fence and there were times it felt that way. My Nana would get us to go out and find the perfect round tumbleweed. She would take it spray it white then cover it with canned snow. After that little tiny twinkle lights and little bitty ornaments would be added. Then the stickery bit of Texas Christmas was set atop the TV, there it made an indelible memory for me. When I saw these tiny boxes of ornaments I had to have them, a tangible piece of a perfect memory.

3 comments:

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

What a neat sounding decoration! And what a fun memory. Aren't you glad you have it?

Chris Brown said...

I love this story. A white tumbleweed tree sounds like Urban Prairie heaven to me.

Give Peace a Change.

Love & Peace,
Chris

High Desert Diva said...

Oh this is great!!!

Just read it to my husband...thanks for the link!