Saturday, July 19, 2008

Never make eye contact...


...with a gorilla. It seems as if a woman in Amsterdam had the daily habit of visiting Bokito, a gorilla at the Rotterdam Zoo, and tapping on the glass making faces and eye contact with him. Zookeepers had warned her not to do this, that eye contact signals aggression to gorillas and the display of teeth is not a smile. Bokito escaped and attacked the face-making woman, biting her over a hundred times and breaking her arm. He was finally corned in a restaurant, sedated and captured. Now visitors at the zoo are encouraged to wear these swell fashion accessories while viewing the gorilla exhibit. I can't decide which is creepier, a grudge-carrying gorilla or bizarre looking zoo visitors. On second thought I think I want my family members to wear these when they are in my presence... I don't like gawking people poking fun at me either.


5 comments:

A Wild Thing said...

I need to get me a pair of those glasses...wouldn't that be a hoot on Halloween...it would not only drive the gorilla crazy, but everyone else too...

People are really so ignorant when it comes to wild animals...they aren't cute innocent creatures, they are wild...DUH!!!

Once had a friend back in the day that thought she would sneak up on a baby squirrel and grab it...we followed the blood trail to emergency, over 65 stitches...

sharon

Hawaiian Radiation said...

I don't know what it is about animals attacking people, but in nearly every case, it makes me feel good, like the world is as it should be. It's like the planet's way of saying, "anytime I want, motherfucker, I can take you out." Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hmmm...

Strange to say the LEAST!

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Chris :)

High Desert Diva said...

Love the glasses

Anonymous said...

I could swear this story is deja vu... when I was a kid visiting family in Atlanta, a grown man kept tapping on the glass 'cage' that an enormous gorilla was housed in. His enclosure was bare except for a huge tire from a big piece of equipment, maybe like a big earth=mover or something. Anyway the gorilla got angry with the idiot annoying him with the glass tapping and all of a sudden the gorilla grabbed his giant tire and swung it against the wall of glass. EVERYONE RAN FOR THEIR LIVES.... we were all SURE the glass had shattered and KING KONG was coming after us. I hope that idiot that taunted him peed himself... jerk. I've always felt sorry for that gorilla; probably smarter than all the combined I.Q. staring at him day after day.